Thursday, April 9, 2015

My house is growing!

We have a lot of plants in our house over the winter, some we put back outside, and some that stay in year-round.

My favorites are our ivy plants in the kitchen, our ten million aloe plants, and my personal favorites. My dwarf lemon and dwarf lime trees. 





This is my lemon tree!! Look at the flowers!

My lemon tree, while being much larger then my lime tree has not produced as many buds, but my lime tree had the benefit of being downstairs in the basement next to our fireplace, much warmer. I think that might have something to do with the abundance of blooms.



This is my lime tree, notice the ridiculous number of blooms!

Because these are dwarf trees, made for container growing they are self-pollinating, though my sister has some of the same ones and she says they do better if you take your finger and pollinate. They also self-shed the blooms they don't have the energy to turn into fruit so I doubt we will get anything more then one. We have yet to get any fruit from either of them, but I am just going to give them time. Because they are also in pots you need to make sure to add fertilizer to the pot every couple of months or so, otherwise the plants eat up all the nutrients and then die. We mix miracle grow right into the water of the feeders, and that seems to work really well.

I will be posting more pictures as the summer goes along, so keep your fingers crossed for fruit!!


No comments:

Post a Comment