Friday, March 13, 2015

Warmer weather

Well next week it is forecasted to be in the upper 40s and even into the 50s! You know what that means? It means that it will be warmer next week! I don't ever predict spring is here until it's actually here, in Minnesota you just never know.
The warmer weather has prompted me to get my garden going earlier then I can ever remember planting! Last year we planted in April and we thought that was risky. But with the next week forecasted to be no colder then 30s I can't help but get me hands in the dirt. A few weekends ago I won a greenhouse on a silent auction for our local legion. It's not very big but with this weather it doesn't need to be. My aunt wants to start her peppers and tomatoes in it and then let us use her grow lights and trays to start any of the ones we would like. So that is my project this weekend! I am also going to plant our radishes, peas, cabbage, spinach, kale, carrots, and anything else I think of from now until tomorrow. I think I might succession plant my radishes and carrots so we get a constant supply.
I honestly don't care what I plant at this point just so long as I can get my hands in the dirt.
The only downfall of this beautiful weather? I gotta pick up my puppies poop that is from this winter. In the spring summer and fall she goes in the woods because we are out there and she can be out for longer periods of time. When it's cold? No one wants to go out least of all her. So she rushes out and does her business as close to the door as she can. Then runs in where it's warm. Ugh. Means a lot of work for me come spring. Fun times I tell ya.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a little green (no, not because I'm Irish and the holiday is fast approaching) with envy because you can actually get out and work in the garden already. We've still got snow cover (but it's melting quickly) up here in northern MN and will probably get a predictable March blizzard (or two) yet. But I do plan on planting as soon as I can this year and will use cold frames to cover some of my raised beds. Spring is on the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Central Minnesota still has some snow on the ground but I am hoping. And as for March blizzards I am sure we will get one but with how warm the ground is getting I can only hope it melts right away!! At this point I am keeping my optimism up and my doubts away!!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on winning the greenhouse! Almost seems a necessity for Minnesota gardeners. I'm way farther south, so we have warmer temperature, but too much rain. The garden is a mud pit so gardening is on hold for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Yeah the greenhouse was a steal of a deal! I couldn't not get it! That's too bad about your garden though. We haven't had enough moisture to cause that much mud, except in the corral with the horses go figure.

      Delete