Friday, January 23, 2015

Thursdays are for beer, at least in my household!

Last night my father and I were talking about all of the stuff we have sitting around our house that never gets used. Seriously our house has so much stuff packed away everywhere it's like a treasure hunt every time you go looking for something. While talking about our stuff my dad mentioned that he still had his beer making kit he got for his birthday a few years ago. Yeah my family is not fast about anything, and as they say out of sight out of mind! It just sat in the corner of our basement storage room until one day when I uncovered it and started bugging him about making it.

I decided that there was no better time like the present to use it since we would probably forget about it if we didn't make it tonight and when my brother walked in the door from work that's what we did. It was just a kit, nothing too fancy, it was made by a company called Mr. Beer. I have included the link to make it easier to find.



The kit that we had came with everything you need to make two gallons of beer except the bottles. I guess the kind we got was what is called West Coast Pale Ale. It comes with a keg to brew the beer in, and all the ingredients. The directions were very easy to read and it only took about an hour from start to finish to make.


There is the yeast bubbling away making our yummy beer!!

It has to sit for two weeks in the keg before it can be bottled, and then it sits in the bottles for at least a week before you can drink it but I am excited! I have wanted to make my own wine and beer for a while! Hopefully it turns out good, I will have to give updates as we move along in the process. The kit comes with a book that talks about the history and ingredients of different beers, along with recipes to change your beer flavors and types. It looks like something that could be really fun to do as a hobby, and I think given how excited my brother was over it I have a birthday present already in mind. My dad thought it was more fun when we kids got involved so I think the three of us might be trying our hand at a few more kinds of beer in the near future.


All ready to be stored and fermented!

2 comments:

  1. We, too, have talked about making our own beer and wine for YEARS! We even have some of the necessary equipment we've picked up here and there stored in our basement. (Is there a theme here?) I know if we just get started, it would be something we'd really like. Keep being an incentive for us. Looking forward to future posts on the beer brewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Haha I think that's where everyone stores their random stuff. I think it's amazing what ends up stored down there! I am very excited for this because brewing my own alcohol is something I have always wanted to do. I will make sure to keep everyone updated!

      Delete