Saturday, October 11, 2014

Pizza Dough

So I found a recipe for freezing pizza dough over here on Money Saving Mom.

http://moneysavingmom.com/2012/05/4-weeks-to-fill-your-freezer-freezer-friendly-pizza-dough-day-13.html

I have never made pizza dough from scratch before. EVER. I have always been one of those lazy college students who just gets up and orders from whoever was open that late at night in the middle of a study session. In fact I think that in my 3 years of dorm living I probably paid them enough to pay for a full-time employee. (Maybe that's why my pizzas always arrived at the dorm so quickly.)

So when I decided to do this, I wasn't really thinking ahead and not having the years of experience I wasn't making sure we had everything on hand BEFORE I tried my hand at making this. Silly silly me, you would think that would be a common sense thing, but no.

The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of yeast. Do we have yeast? I don't know, so I make a mad dash for the refrigerator to make sure we have some. There it is sitting in plain sight. Whew!

It also calls for 5 cups of flour, well that I knew we had, but we only had whole-wheat flour. Why don't ask me I don't usually do the grocery shopping around here. (Maybe I should start doing that so that when I cook I know that we have what I need on hand)

The recipe I used for freezing pizza dough didn't call for any rising time, because (I assume) when you let it thaw it is supposed to rise. Since this is my test batch and if we like it I will make more tomorrow (we are now out of a few key ingredients, poor planning on my part) I let it rise for the hour that other recipes called for.

                                          It's rising! SHHH!! Don't disturb it!! It needs to rise!

When it came time to roll it out, OOF that was an adventure! Every time I tried to get it to roll out it shrank back on me. Finally DM had to help me with that. Boy does that take arm muscles! We made a pesto pizza with tomatoes, peppers, and mushrooms and an alfredo pizza with chicken, mushrooms, and peppers.




My alfredo recipe is super simple and I make it constantly! So delicious! I always am trying new spices to put into it and tonight I put smoked paprika mmmmm that was good.

So the dough was very easy to make and pretty good, next time I make it I think I would like it better with white flour this was very tough and dense not how I like my pizza crust but it still tasted really good!


         My puppy dog was happy because while I was making the pizza she was able to have a bone.                                          Bonus it kept her out from under my feet in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment