Tuesday, February 3, 2015

When did Mother Nature become Bipolar?

So after some rather mild weather for January, now we have this colder weather that makes me actually remember that we have winter for another month or two.

What is with this? I mean seriously? Here I was thinking that if this warm weather continued we might actually be able to plant before May, and now this cold snap rolls in!

Sigh, I don't know how much longer I can keep up with the roller-coaster. It's getting really hard to remember not only how warm to dress, but what month it is. If it weren't for school to help me remember I wouldn't ever keep anything straight.

At least my garlic in my garden is doing well, it should hopefully be well frozen with this cold snap so that come spring it is all ready to grow it's heart out! I am so excited, this is something I have wanted to grow for myself for a very long time!

I have also been pouring over our catalogs trying to decide what to grow. I recently was reading some interesting nutritional information about the types of lettuce you grow in your garden. Apparently the type of lettuce usually favored in the United States, iceberg, is one of the least nutritional, while the darker and more varied lettuce grown in other countries has a much higher nutritional value. So I have been comparing the varieties out there and trying to decide what ones to try.

I don't do any heirloom seed saving yet, partly because of lack of space and partly because I am still trying to see what I like the best for flavor and production. Even if I did try to save my own seeds due to a shorter growing season I would have to start my tomatoes and others indoors, and I have no room for that anywhere. Seriously. Remind me sometime to show you our house of plants. We have literally no window space left. And that greenhouse I want? Not happening.

So I just try and see what grows best, what we like, and have fun browsing the catalogs. Maybe someday I will have my own greenhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment