Thursday, February 5, 2015

Snow, huh? What's that?

Hey what's that white stuff outside? Do you think it's snow? Nah couldn't be! We haven't had snow since that great blizzard of '14! That was a big 'un! Kids gather round and I will tell you all about it!

No seriously, it's looked more like Oklahoma in winter up here then Minnesnowta. All of our snow around here has melted, and I mean ALL of it. The most we have left is what was stubbornly clinging for dear life to the pile in our front yard. It hasn't been a normal winter, heck it hasn't been a normal winter for a few years now. But FINALLY finally it is starting to look a little more like winter out there. We only got about an inch at most but it sure does look so pretty out there!

My favorite part about snow is the way it looks like stardust when you drive in town at night. The snow on the roads sparkles under the lights........well that or it looks like the entire world's supply of glitter exploded.

I love winter, no honestly I do! I love the way your breath steams when it comes out, I love sledding, I love that you can bundle in like 20 layers and no one will judge you. I love how excited the snow makes my dog! She loves to run and eat it, then roll in it, and finally she tries to bury herself in it! Pure entertainment! I especially love the way the world seems to stand still, as if mother nature herself has decided to hibernate. The silence is my favorite part, the stillness that comes over the earth, it just makes me relax and take a breath in awe.

Summers are crazy, the ground is bursting and growing it's heart out trying to produce the bounty before winter comes again, animals are frantically mating and rearing their young to be ready when they need to head south or survive the cold. And I feel everyone up in the northern part of the country gets a little busier. Trying to pack every moment of fun they can into our few short months of summer. And I love it! The warmth, the sun, being out in my garden! But I also love the quiet that comes with winter. The fact that everyone seems to slow down a little as if to enjoy the time with their families and friends before summer makes everyone busy again.

I always try in the winter to slow down in my personal life as well, read a few good books, enjoy the stillness outside. I think it helps me recharge, get ready for my garden again, and the fast pace that brings. I especially love the balance of the northern part of the US, the rhythm you fall into. Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. It's almost like the heartbeat of the earth. And it can be beautiful at all times, if you only take the time to look.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you so much. I adore our four season climate. Learning to live with each season makes sense, doesn't it? Revving up in the spring, going full throttle all summer, starting to slow down in the fall and getting some relaxing time in the winter to recharge the batteries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree! I don't know what I would do without that time to recharge!

      Delete
  2. I grew up in the north but have lived most of my life in the south. We do have winter, and some winters we have snow, but it's not the same and what I really miss is autumn. So true about the rhythm of the seasons. It's something we should embrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I don't understand why so many people hate the rhythm of the seasons. I love all of them. They each contributes much to our planet and each should be treasured!

      Delete